Are boots appropriate for a funeral? Usually, boots are not appropriate for a funeral. This is because most boots don’t look formal enough for a formal event like a funeral.
However, if you can arrange for boots that give off a formal feel, you can wear them to a funeral.
It can be really hard to decide what to wear to a funeral, as there are so many rules and regulations to consider before even dressing up.
So this whole process of choosing what to wear to a funeral can get overwhelming. And if it’s a funeral of a loved one, you are sure to be in a vulnerable and emotional state where thinking about what to wear can become a daunting task.
That’s why I’ve drawn up all the necessary dos and don’ts of what to wear at a grave event like a funeral in this write-up.
Funeral Etiquette Guide – How To Behave, Dress Code + DO’s & DON’Ts
Are Boots Okay for a Funeral?
Boots are not the most formal footwear. And funerals require a formal dress code, as it is a very formal setting. But you could wear boots that look the part, meaning that they look formal enough for the funeral.
You also need to look out for the color. Funeral wear is usually black. So it’s best to stick to black boots.
As long as you maintain neutral colors, you can also wear something other than black boots. Make sure the boots are in darker colors. For example, don’t wear light brown boots.
You can wear boots of different styles to a funeral. But ankle boots are the safest style of boots for a funeral.
Can You Wear Non-Black Boots to a Funeral?
This is a tricky question because you are supposed to wear black and formal wear to a funeral setting. But that does not mean that you can’t wear dark colors like dark brown boots.
If you don’t have black boots, you can consider wearing boots in colors like blue or green as long as they are really dark in color. This is only if there aren’t any other options left for you.
However, you should never wear bright colors like pink, red, purple, or other bright colors. That would be entirely inappropriate.
Can I Wear Leggings and Boots to a Funeral?
You can absolutely wear leggings and boots to a funeral. As long as you wear formal-looking boots, you are good to go.
The color of your boots must be neutral dark colors like dark brown or black boots. And for the leggings, either wear skin-colored leggings or black leggings to a funeral. Just make sure that the family of the deceased have not set any strict rule against leggings or boots.
Can You Wear Jeans and Boots to a Funeral?
Usually, jeans or denim are not appropriate funeral attire. They are not formal enough for a funeral setting.
However, if the funeral is held outdoors and has a more relaxed and casual tone to it, you can wear jeans with boots to that funeral.
As long as you wear a formal-looking jacket or a blazer with your outfit to tone down the casualness of denim, you are good to go. You can also consider wearing a simple button-down shirt with your black blazer for the funeral.
What Shoes Should You Not Wear to a Funeral?
There are a few types of shoes that you should completely avoid wearing to a funeral. I will talk about those shoes down below:
- Sneakers: Funerals are formal events, and sneakers are not meant to be worn in formal settings. They are okay for casual settings like going to a beach but not appropriate for a formal setting like a funeral. Even if the sneakers are in black, you should not wear them.
- Pull-Up Shoes: Just like sneakers, you should not wear pull-up shoes to a funeral either. They are also not meant for a formal setting.
- Flip-Flops: You should never even think of wearing flip-flops to a funeral. That is how much inappropriate they are for funerals.
- Sandals: Even sandals fall into the same category as flip-flops. They are further away from being formal footwear. So don’t wear them to funerals.
- Bright-Colored Shoes: Boots or otherwise, you should never wear brightly colored shoes to a funeral. They are completely inappropriate for such a grave and heartbreaking event.
High-Heeled Shoes: Any kind of high-heeled shoes are entirely uncalled for in a funeral setting. So be aware of this.
What Is the Proper Attire for a Woman to Wear to a Funeral?
It can be hard to think about what to wear to an all-consuming event like a funeral. So don’t worry, as I will guide you through what you should wear to a funeral as a woman.
- Usually, most funerals set an all-black dress code for everyone. Unless that is the case, you can wear dark-colored dresses and footwear.
- It’s best to wear your outfit and footwear in neutral colors like black or dark brown.
- Whatever you do, don’t wear anything sheer, like a sheer top or a sheer dress. Otherwise, it would look inappropriate.
- Don’t wear dresses that have a hemline that goes above the knee. You should always wear knee-length dresses or dresses that go below your knees.
- And you should steer clear of any spaghetti strap dress. Instead, you can go for a sleeveless dress. You can also consider a short sleeve dress, a long-sleeved dress, or a shoulder-length dress.
- You can always consider wearing turtle necks, as they will help you look sophisticated. Try wearing your turtle neck with black trousers that are flared. If the funeral isn’t being held in warm weather, wear formal coats, blazers, or formal jackets.
- And your footwear needs to be as comfortable as possible, as you might need to walk around all day in them. If it’s really cold, you can go in formal-looking boots.
- As for the accessories, you can always add headbands or hats to your outfit.
Whatever you end up deciding to go in, just make sure that the look is kept minimal. Don’t overdo anything or wear anything too flashy.
What to Wear to a Funeral for Women : Appropriate Attire for All Occasions
Funerals are hard to attend for obvious reasons. And the whole picking out what to wear can become a hassle.
So if you have a pair of black or dark-colored boots lying around, you can easily wear them to a funeral. Just make sure that you don’t wear anything too eye-catching.