Can you wear black boots to a funeral? Wearing black to a funeral was considered to be the only way to attend a funeral at one point. So you can wear black boots to a funeral.
The only thing that you need to maintain is the formality of your boots. Imagine wearing extravagant black boots with wild designs and patterns. They will not look formal enough for the event.
Once I saw someone do just that. She wore a pair of gothic extravagant black boots to a funeral. It did not look appropriate for the formal event at all. Instead, the family of the deceased felt a little insulted by the situation.
So whatever footwear you wear to a funeral, whether they are black boots or something else, you should make sure they look formal.
Why You Should Wear Black Boots to a Funeral
People wear black footwear and outfits to a funeral for a few different reasons. Let’s explore these reasons down below:
- For mourning, the color black is a traditional color, which is why you should wear black boots to a funeral. This has been the case in a lot of cultures throughout the world.
- As a sign of respect, you can wear black boots to a funeral. This is because wearing any bright color to funerals is considered to be very inappropriate. So to acknowledge someone’s death, people wear black.
- If you want to pay your respects to the deceased and the family of the deceased, you can wear black boots to the funeral. And it is the best color if you can’t decide which color to wear.
- People use black to express their grief. To express your sadness for the death of your loved one, you can wear a pair of black boots to their funeral.
- If you want to show your sympathy to the friends and family of the deceased, you can opt for a pair of black formal-looking boots.
- A funeral is an event where the family of the deceased acknowledges their loss with others. You can wear black boots to support the family.
- If you wear black boots to a funeral with a black outfit, you are acknowledging the finality of death itself.
- Wearing black has become a way to say goodbye to the person who is no more. So you can do just that by wearing black boots.
- The fact that you are wearing black can convey a message to people. And that message is that the life of the person who died was important.
- If you wear black boots with black attire, it will look like you are staying strong and resilient in the face of a grave loss.
- Some think that you should wear black attire at a funeral to ward off all evil spirits. If you believe in such things, you can wear black boots with your black outfit.
- The color black protects according to some cultures. So you can wear black boots with a black dress if you want to support such cultures as well.
At one point, it was the law that made people wear black to a funeral. This is not the case now, but you should still consider wearing black boots to a funeral.
What to Wear with Black Boots to a Funeral?
There are a couple of things that you can wear with a pair of black boots to a funeral. Let’s take a look at these clothing items:
- Dresses: You can wear knee-length or longer dresses of any kind, like cocktail dresses, maxi dresses, bodycon dresses, etc., with your black boots to a funeral. Just make sure that you don’t wear anything too revealing, like sleeveless or big cuts and slits.
- Skirts: If you want to wear skirts, you should go for knee-length or longer skirts in black or other dark colors with a pair of black boots for the funeral that you are going to attend.
- Jumpsuits: You can also wear a jumpsuit in dark colors with your boots. They are really comfortable. So it’ll not be hard for you to carry your outfit throughout the day at a funeral.
- Trousers: If you are not interested in wearing a dress, you can wear a pair of formal-looking trousers to a funeral with your black boots.
- Tops: When you are going to wear trousers to a skirt, you can wear a simple top without any patterns with your black boots.
- Jackets, Shawls, Cardigans, or Sweaters: If the funeral that you are attending is taking place in winter, you can wear jackets, shawls, cardigans, or sweaters over your dress, tops, or jumpsuit to stay warm and cozy in the harsh cold weather.
Black Boots That You Can Wear to a Funeral
There are so many black boots out there in stores to choose from. How do you pick just one to wear to a funeral? Even though there’s a condition that the black boots need to be formal-looking, there are still many options.
Today I’ll show you a list of black boots that looks formal enough for you to wear to a funeral.
- Dear Frances Cube Boot: Even though these boots have heels, they look formal enough for wearing to a funeral. Just make sure the family of the deceased doesn’t mind if you wear heeled boots.
- Dolce Vita Moana H2O Waterproof Lug Sole Chelsea Boot: This pair of black Chelsea boots look formal enough for you to wear to a funeral. You can wear a black dress with these boots to complete the look.
- Mango Heel Leather Ankle Boot: Another pair of heeled black boots that look classic yet formal enough for a funeral.
- Jeffrey Campbell Geist Square Toe Boot: You can wear these black boots to both funerals and other formal events.
- Hunter Original Refined Waterproof Rain Boot: If the funeral that you need to attend is taking place on a rainy day, you can get these waterproof boots that look formal enough for a funeral.
- Ganni High Chelsea Boots: This pair of black Chelsea boots don’t have any extravagant patterns or designs, making them look formal enough for funerals.
- Aeyde Neil Leather Chelsea Boots: You can wear these black Chelsea boots to a funeral as well.
- Staud Wally Ankle Boot: If you want to look elegant at formal events like funerals, you can wear these black ankle boots.
Wearing black to a funeral has been a tradition for a long time now. So if you want to wear a pair of black boots to a funeral, you can. However, you just need to make sure that whatever you do, you don’t wear any extravagant black boots that can offend the family of the deceased.